9.18.2006

What's in a name?

I guess I'll make this week a "birthday week" of sorts. I'll do short posts of ideas that floated around for a while.

Coming up with good titles is not my strong suit. It took me like 10 tries to come up with a title for my law review article. I wanted something that's fun and adequately describes the content. Well, the title turned out to be 2 sentences long. Ah well, it's not like anyone is going to read it (which is why I still have a whole box of off-prints with glossy covers sitting in my room).

While it's OK to have ginormously long titles for scholarly works, it just doesn't work for fun stuff. I don't recall how exactly I came up with the title of "Hot Off the Sales Rack," but I do remember having a debate over whether to use "sale" or "sales." The term "sale rack" would have made more sense grammatically, but I've seen the term "sales rack" before and thought it sounded more melodious.

There you have it--yes, I know it's bad grammar, but I took phonetic license anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm No Good at the whole titles thing. I usually just do whatever's near me at the time, prolly something that's in a movie I'm watching as I'm typing.

-ThatBeeGirl