3.18.2007

Save those shoulder pads!

Now that I have my iPod Nano, the next task is to protect it . . . on the cheap, of course!

A screen protector is the first order of things. Since the screen is delicate, you want a plastic overlay to protect it from scratches. Why spend money on a pack of Nano-sized screen protectors when you can use something much, much cheaper? Back when I actually made use of a PDA, I bought a pack of sheet protectors from the 99 Cents Store (which also carried a pack of stylus and a $30 cable, and of course I promptly stocked up on those). Now that I'm not using my PDA, there's no reason for the accessories to go to waste. I simply cut out a piece small enough to fit the Nano's screen, and we were good to go.

The next item on the checklist is a sleeve that protects the whole machine. I looked around on Etsy and found some really cute ones, but I felt like saving money by making my own. My plan was to make one out of vinyl, with elaborate cut-outs. Since the vinyl protects against scratches but not shocks, I wanted to add a cushioned lining. It didn't work out as I planned. First, it's really hard to do intricate cuts out of a small piece. Second, it was too hard to sew hard vinyl to a rounded bag form. My plan was to sew the lining part first, then cover it up with vinyl. What I should have done was to sew the lining to the vinyl, then sew the two halves of the case together like a sandwich, but hindsight is always 20/20. Still, I ended up with a soft and functional case, so that's good enough for now.

Ever since I was a kid, I'd save shoulder pads that my mom takes out. There's something about the cushiony feel and the shape. I used to think they looked like wings and wanted to make fairy dolls out of them (I actually made one as a Christmas gift for an aunt). Once I was well past the sock doll-making stage, I didn't know what to do with them, but I saved them anyway out of potential usefulness. I'm glad I did, since they sure came in handy last night.

I started off with this:


I sewed a rectangular outline to keep the layers in place, then I cut out the shape. I folded it in half, sewed the side and the bottom shut (save for a little corner where the headphone jack was located). After that, I sewed on a piece of felt. Then I flipped it inside out. All of that took about an hour, but it could have been done faster if I wasn't doing other things at the same time.



If it weren't for the Frankenstein stitches, which I intended to cover up with vinyl, this would have looked pretty good. Still, the resulting product will serve it's purpose, so it hasn't been a complete waste of time.

When I have time later, I'll sew a loop on the back. That way, I can clip the case to a belt loop or to a velcro arm band.

5 comments:

Bernie said...

Now THAT is clever. When I got my iPod (a few years old) I used one of those sheets of foam you get wrapped around electronics, and then covered it with denim and the smaller inside pocket from an old pair of jeans to store the headphones in, wrapped up.

Sales Rack Raider said...

I totally neglected the headphones. Bernie, your idea is genius! The small inside pockets are cute and so utilitarian. Hats off to ya.

bee said...

awesome idea, and on the cheap, too!

Rebecca said...

You are so clever! (Bernie is too!)

emigre said...

You take DIY to another level, in awe ....