1.19.2009

A Day at the Museum

I had a great museum trip with a group of friends and their friends today. Part of the fun of seeing an exhibit is discussing it with other people (I highly recommend a visit to the Broad Contemporary section). The other part is taking silly pictures with the artwork. There was also an unexpected bonus: a freebie notebook featuring quotes from Dr. Martin Luther King. It is quite a fitting way to commemorate today and serves as an inspiring lead-in to tomorrow's historic presidential inauguration.

It was easy to decide on what to wear today. Since there was going to be a lot of walking involved, both from the tour and from walking to the museum from the free street parking spot a few blocks away, comfortable flats were in order. As for the clothing, I decided to wear a dress that I found at Loehmann's for practically 90% off. I usually shy away from strapless dresses because I have trouble keeping them on (or that's my fear anyway), but this one just fits. The print is very museum-worthy--it resembles an abstract field of flowers created from dripping paint. I could literally blend in with paintings lining the walls.












[Michael Kors leather hoodie, Plenty by Tracy Reese strapless dress, Liz Claiborne bag, L'Autre Chose navy flats]


10 comments:

yulanda said...

Great outfit for a day at the gallery! I like the contrast between the floral and the polka dots.

Sales Rack Raider said...

Thanks! I thought the contrast was a little strange at first, but when I tried on the dress, it just worked.

Chimera said...

lovely dress, was wondering if the sateen sash came with the dress.

Sales Rack Raider said...

Chimera--the "sash" is actually sewn in (doesn't tie in the back). Makes it more convenient!

The Clothes Horse said...

That dress is so pretty. Also this makes me want to go to a museum.

Sales Rack Raider said...

Thanks! Museums are fun. I really like your shots from your natural history museum visit--can't wait to see what you'll do at another museum!

Chester said...

Looks like you had a bunch of fun!

Eli said...

what a great outfit really. I went to lacma a few months ago, it was really nice. but they turned out to be picture freaks with us (bf almost got kicked out!)

Muttersome said...

I love this dress. So chic!

Sales Rack Raider said...

Thanks everyone, I did have a lot of fun.

Eli--they were pretty strict about picture taking, especially in the Vanity Fair exhibit. I just got lucky and sneaked a shot here and there when the guards were overwhelmed by the holiday crowd. Apparently non-flash pics are OK for the permanent collection, but not for the special ones.