11.02.2008

Politically Motivated

The people who know me best know that I'm pretty outspoken when it comes to politics. I've always felt a strong sense of duty to head to the polls, particularly because it's a privilege that many people around the world do not have.

At the same time, I feel equally strongly about not pressing my beliefs on others. Hence, you won't find a whole lot of political content on this blog, if any. The only thing I would urge is that citizens should go out and cast their ballots. Most people I know gain satisfaction from their civic participation. If that satisfaction is not enough to drive you to the polls, maybe a few Election Day freebies will:

-Krispy Kreme (mmmm...) is offering a free star-shaped donut with red, white, and blue sprinkles to those who sport an "I Voted" sticker.

-I'm sure that most people have heard about the Ben & Jerry's free scoop of ice cream deal on Tuesday (between 5-8 p.m.). I heard that the company had some concerns that the voting requirement would run afoul of some state election laws, so they're offering that free scoop to *everyone*!

-Today the New York Times website had a big ad that tipped me off to another freebie: Starbucks is offering a free cup of brewed coffee to those who say they voted.

If you hear about more, let us know by leaving a comment.

No comments: