4.24.2006

Extreme Bargain Hunting

OK, so I have no discipline when it comes to studying. I'm ducking back in real quick to tell you about this NYT article, since this doesn't take much contemplation on my part like a full-blown post would. I'm really cheap, but I'm really put off by the idea of dumpster diving. Interesting read, though...the discussion on abandoned property reminds me of the good times in the 1st semester of my Property class (before things went down in flames in the 2nd semester). If you really want a crazy crash-course lesson on distinctions between lost, misplaced, and abandoned property, I'd suggest you look up a case called "In re Seizure of $82,000 More or Less," 119 F.Supp.2d 1013 (W.D. Mo. 2000). Great overview, and falls into my “Top Ten” list of favorite cases: drug dealers + $82,000 stuffed into a gas tank = hilarity ensues (the court ruled that the money was "abandoned" since the drug dealers would probably not risk prosecution to get it back).

No comments: