9.29.2008

Causing a Flapper

I've always been interested in stylistic elements from a bygone era, particularly the 1920's and the 1940's/1950's. During the past year or so, I've taken a more 60's mod approach to dressing, but I never cease to harken back to the days when ladies took the time to look glamorous. That's not to say I'll go out looking like I'm heading to a costume party, but it is nice to add a graceful element here and there, if only once in a while.

A long, long, long time ago, a woman would be considered impolite and unladylike for venturing outdoors with a bare head. Today, by contrast, a covered head is what draws attention. Not the negative kind at all, but hats stand out. I, for one, am not all that big into hats. I have a wool newsboy cap that only gets worn during the winter. I've been looking for a white or straw fedora to shield against the summer heat, but to date I have yet to find one that fits my small head perfectly.

However, I have been successful in finding a cloche hat, an idea which has been kicking around in my head for a few years, as many of my style cravings have been. I refuse to just "settle" when it comes to an accessory that I know I will be wearing for ages, which is why I bide my time. Maybe a lesson to learn is that I should stop craving something too much--I went to Forever 21 to continue that frustrating search for that perfect straw fedora, which never seems to materialize, and ended up running smack into this lovely felt cloche hat. It was almost too easy and anticlimatic. After walking out of the store, I tore off the tags and put it on right away. I definitely got a number of stares as I walked throughout the mall. To be sure, a cloche hat isn't as common as a baseball cap, a fedora, or a widebrimmed sun hat--it is decidedly historic. Fashion magazines have been touting the complete flapper look to go with the hat, complete with fringed dresses or very fluttery and pretty clothing. I, for one, decided to have a different take on the "modern flapper" look--a little bit of frilly, plus a whole lot of structure:

[Forever 21 hat, Matty M silk top, my own necklace with blue and green beads (which coincidentally matches the shade of the hat), Earnest Sewn jeans, Target flats with chain hardware]

Unfortunately, I wore this hat once or twice weeks ago and haven't had a chance to wear it again. The temperature has returned to the 90's after only one week of respite. It will be a while before I can wear it again. It will be interesting to see how it matches up with more of my modern outfits as well as with the vintage dresses and coats.

4 comments:

Lucy said...

love it!

ThatBeeGirl said...

the hat is very flattering -- not everyone can pull it off, but you do so very well.

Anonymous said...

You are rocking that hat. I wish my hair would cooperate when it comes to hat-wearing.

Sales Rack Raider said...

Thanks, y'all!