5.24.2007

Death of a Camera

Remember how I was hoping that my camera would last until graduation day? Well, it didn't. It was fine before, but when I busted out my camera before the ceremony, it wasn't working. I tried the usual tricks, but I couldn't coax it into submission. Unfortunately, I missed a lot of picture-taking opportunities with my school friends, but I managed to grab my sister's camera before we had to take our seats.

I'm gonna keep the little guy just because a) I'm too lazy to take it to a toxic waste recycling facility at the moment, b) we had a good 5 years together, and c) it takes some awesome psychadelic pics, like these:



I have no idea what this is a picture of. A stack of papers, I think?

Another shot of the same thing after turning the camera on/off:

I tried the camera again today, since usually things go back to normal after a while. As you can see in the picture directly above, there's something rotten in the state of Denmark. You can't even tell what this is a picture of (it's supposed to be my desk).

This shot of the living room lamp (on a table) is sorta neat, along with the blinds as a backdrop:

With any death, we also celebrate the life that was. I got my Canon PowerShot A60 camera 5 year ago for around $140, including shipping. For a budget camera, it did a lot of stuff and took great pictures. There were plenty of functions with which I could develop more advanced photography skills. Once I learned to use the manual settings on my camera, I never went back to point and shoot again.

When I opened shop, I wanted to do more than snap pictures of my products. I wanted the pics to be artwork in of themselves. As an elegy to cheap cameras, I present to you some of my favorite pics taken with the recently departed (that is, when it worked as it should):

Fortunately, there is a happy ending. Talk about the cavalry to the rescue--my dear friends got me a new Canon Powershot as a graduation present! I absolutely love it to bits, especially the manual focus function, and I'm so grateful that I have such great friends.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that one picture looks like a painting. You should definitely keep it!!

ThatBeeGirl said...

very cool effects, even if they weren't intended! glad you have a new camera, though, as i'd be lost without mine!

Anonymous said...

"With any death, we also celebrate the life that was..."

Tee hee, you're too funny. Have fun with your new camera!

Eli said...

your camera looks waterlogged. did you ever get water near it that you know of?

Sales Rack Raider said...

Thanks, everyone!

Eli--nope, not waterlogged. This thing has not been anywhere close to water. Before it died completely, the camera was back to normal after I change the batteries, or simply turn it on and off, and then take a few pics.