1.02.2007

New Year, New You: In Defense of the New Year's Resolution

Hope everyone enjoyed the holiday festivities. I spent New Year's Eve and New Year's Day hanging out with friends and family, and eating nonstop. Food was good, but I feel like such a glutton. Now that the overindulgence is over, it's time to get back to business.

Many of us want to change something about ourselves but can't muster the necessary motivation to do it. The start of a new year gives us some impetus to finally get started. I've made a few New Year's resolutions: spend less (I could always do better), work out more, study more efficiently, cook more often/eat healthier meals, keep in touch more frequently with friends, learn to network, keep a closer watch of my finances, learn how to make my money work harder, take care of things right away instead of letting it linger until the last minute, etc. These are mainly aspirational, since many of them (especially the working out part) do get broken eventually, but it's better to have something to work toward than not. Even if I only stick to them for 5 months, that's 5 months' worth of life going in the positive direction, 5 months' worth of feeling good about myself, or 5 months' worth of money saved.

In the next couple of weeks, I'll address some common resolutions on frugality, fashion, and shopping.

6 comments:

BrownEyedGirl said...

Glad your back! Sounds like you had agood New Year :)

S. said...

I'm with you, 5 months is great! I'm aiming for a year of non shopping but have the short term goal of until summer.

Anonymous said...

It's funny how often resolutions are the same. I've never bothered as I try to make an effort year long to stay in touch, save money, etc. And of course, you know how often that works :\

Stacie said...

Happy 2007!!! I never make any resolutions but good luck with yours. Have a great year!

ThatBeeGirl said...

Happy 2007!

Sales Rack Raider said...

Thanks everyone!