8.16.2009

Form, Function, and Fabric

It's hard to believe that we're already halfway through August; it seems like Summer had just begun. The daytime is still very hot, but the air rapidly cools down once the sun starts to set, enough for me to want to put on another layer. The question, of course, is which layer to choose. Knits and hoodies are too warm, and the very sheer pieces are a bit too light. What is just right?

I've never been a fan of windbreakers or anoraks--I do certainly appreciate the functional aspect (the light fabrics are just right for this kind of weather), but windbreakers or anoraks are often ill-fitting on my wispy frame, and as much as I like the sporty look, they are just too obviously athletic for my tastes. Luckily, I recently found something on the 70% off rack at the local Calvin Klein store that is as functional as it is pretty. The sporty form done up in a luxe silk fabric and tailored fit captured my attenion quickly. The color is pleasing to the eye, and the bright exposed zipper is a detail that I am a fan of.

The contrast of the form and fabric creates a middle ground between the casual and formal, just the way I like it. I've worn the jacket with shorts, I've worn it with jeans, I've worn it with slacks for work, and I've also worn it with leggings and high heels on the weekend. There are more ways to wear it, I'm sure...

[Casual Friday: Calvin Klein silk anorak, F21 t-shirt underneath, Paper Denim & Cloth jeans, Nike sneakers. Saturday Night dinner with friends: Calvin Klein silk anorak, Gap knit tank top, F21 leggings, Marc by Marc Jacobs bag and shoes, Tarina Tarantino bracelet.]



6 comments:

yiqin; said...

OMG I love the exposed zips!

Eli said...

it looks so sleek and cool with the leggings, Im really liking blue and black recently

M said...

seems like i have longer summer here, since we only have 2 seasons in my country. i'd like to experience any other seasons you have there though. nice leggings anyways ... xx

Gracie said...

lovely!
xx

Sales Rack Raider said...

Thanks, everyone! I'm definitely in the blue-and-black mode lately, even though it is more of an Autumn/Winter palette (that goes to show how much I love those seasons).

Anonymous said...

Wow, very unexpectedly awesome as a dressy piece. Who knew?