1.14.2008

Materially Cheap

The 7-day workweek is tough, even when you love the work. That's why I try to do stuff like this: blog. Cook. Clean. Make things. It's strange how the simple things in life make such a huge difference for your energy and keep you going. It just takes a little effort.

On long days in these long weeks, it's hard to make an effort to dress nice. I've been grabbing the same old sweaters and dress shirts...just not very me. So the last time I got to go shopping with my Forever 21 gift cards, I went looking for a blousy top that's easy to wear and easy to care for.

There are certain items that I won't go too cheap on--for coats and sweaters, if things pill too easily, you're not going to want to wear them much anymore. Then there are certain things that I'm not going to spend too much on, like those really thin, blousy things that may tear easily. But then again, it's tough to find something satiny or chiffon-like that doesn't crease and crinkle too easily. They do exist, however...just takes a little bit of luck.

I found this lovely black top at Forever 21. There's a remarkable amount of pleats and details for something, well, from Forever 21. The fabric is much more amenable to handwashing than an expensive fabric. Easy to wear, and cheap to care for--that's what I'm talking about. It's also comfortable, which is important for those stressful long days. Getting bogged down by clothing is the last thing I'd want.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great blouse! Is this a work look or weekend look? I've been slowly transitioning my wardrobe to post-grad school life, so I feel like I'm in the same boat as you.

Anthony said...

Hey!

Love your blog!

Wanna trade links?? :-)

Sales Rack Raider said...

Michelle--I wore this to work (plus a jacket to look more professional), but it definitely works for weekend as well. It can be so hard to transition, but it has its fun moments.